Pages

3 Nov 2013

Mochi

If you have ever seen or had Mochi it probably looked like this.
 
 
Mochi is a Japanese rice cake made of michigome - a short grain glutinous rice.
 
I love these cute little cakes, and have tried them in many forms :-), but the other day I found a product with the same name in the dairy isle at Whole Foods by accident. I am not quite sure why it was right there, but it caught my attention, and since I had not seen it before I was wondering what I had discovered.
 
 
 
It is produced by Grainaissance. Apart from Mochi - a rice snack made from whole grain brown rice - which I purchased, they also make a product called Amazake. It is a dairy-free shake made from 100% organic whole grain brown rice. I will see if I can find the shake as well.
 
Their Mochi is  all-natural, made without additives, preservatives, colourings, and is wheat and gluten free.
I was surprised how versatile this product is. There is an endless list of recipes on the company's website that you can try.  I simply just baked it in an oven as suggested and sampled  it with honey and also peanut butter as a dessert. I will try more recipes next time.
 
 






No comments:

Post a Comment