Pages

9 May 2013

Curried Butternut Soup

I came across this recipe and because I like Indian flavours I decided to try it yesterday. I have made a butternut soup before, but this one is with curry, also much healthier and low in calories. I was surprised how different and tasty this soup was! It was a big hit and I am definitely making this one again- soon!



1 (2 1/2- pound) butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 2-inch cubes

4 tsp canola oil (divided)

3/4 tsp salt, (divided)

1 cup chopped onion

3 cups chicken stock ( I use Costco Kirkland organic chicken stock)

4 tsp red curry paste ( I didn't have the paste and used curry powder which worked just fine)

1 1/2 tbsp fresh lime juice

1 (13.5 ounce -380g) can light coconut milk

1/4 cup cilantro leaves

1/4 cup flaked unsweetened coconut, toasted ( I didn't have this time - no problem)



1. Preheat oven to 450o F (230o C)

2. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place squash in a bowl, drizzle with 1 tbsp oil. Sprinkle with 1/4 salt, and toss. Bake at 450oF (230oC) for 35 minutes or until golden and tender.

3. Heat the remaining 1 tsp oil in a large saucepan over medium heat, add onion, cook 5 minutes. Add squash, stock and curry. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 tsp salt and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat, and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat, stir in lime juice and coconut milk. Let stand for 15 minutes.

4. Place half of squash mixture in a blender, and blend until smooth. Pour soup into a bowl. Repeat. Divide the soup evenly among 8 bowls, and top with cilantro and coconut.

Servings: 8, Calories: 127, Protein: 4g, Carb: 21g, Fiber 3.7g, Chol: 0

 

No comments:

Post a Comment