Pages

18 Mar 2013

TOFU "EGG" SALAD

I was having lunch at Whole Foods www.wholefoodsmarket.com/stores/naperville one day and their cold buffet was offering, apart from other yummy dishes, "egg less" salad with tofu. It looked interesting and as I am always keen to discover new flavours, I decided to give it a try. I loved it and immediately started to think that I wanted to make it at home.
I have found this recipe on the Internet. You can adjust it to your own taste. I personally use a bit less of Dijon mustard and leave out apple cider vinegar altogether as I find it acidic enough just with the mustard. I love to add the nutritional yeast which I also get at Whole Foods, and sometimes I use chives instead of scallions.
As for the directions bellow, I don't bother to toss the tofu first with the dry mix. I combine everything in a bowl and then add tofu which I cut in really small cubes.

I am not a vegan, nor am I a vegetarian, but I like to eat healthy food and this recipe definitely belongs to that category.

It is great on a slice of fresh bread or just as is!

 
 
 



 




Tofu "Egg" Salad



18 ounces (500g) firm or extra firm tofu, squeezed dry with paper towel/diced into cubes
1/2 cup vegan mayo
1/3 cup Dijon mustard
1 tsp celery seed
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp cayenne powder
1 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp black pepper - fine
1 tsp maple syrup
1 cup chopped scallions
2-3 Tbsp nutritional yeast (optional)
2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar (optional)

Directions:

1. Prep veggies, dry and cube your tofu - toss in large bowl
2. combine/whisk dressing and add to large bowl
3. Toss well
4. Chill until ready to serve!


No comments:

Post a Comment