Pages

11 Mar 2013

BAOBABS


I love trees. Baobab tree of Madagascar is one of my favourite. So, when I decided some time ago to try a new form of art, I chose to paint a baobab landscape for my watercolour project. I used a picture from National Geographic Magazine. I haven't been to Madagascar, so I haven't seen Madagascar baobab in real life, but I would love to one day!
 
This is the result of my attempt.
 


About Baobab:
 
Genus name - Adansonia
There are eight species, six native to Madagascar (it is the national tree of Madagascar), one to Africa and one to Australia.  
They are also called "bottle trees" or "upside-down trees". They can reach up to 30 metres (98ft) and trunk up to 11 metres (36ft).
It is difficult to verify the age of the tree as it does not produce annual growth rings, but it is believed that some baobabs are many thousands of years old.
 
The Baobab tree is also known as the "tree of life". It can store hundreds of litres of water and the bark is fire resistant. The leaves are used in medicine, the fruit - called "monkey bread" is edible and rich in Vitamin C.

No comments:

Post a Comment