Pages

4 Dec 2013

Advent Wreath

This year I made my  Advent wreath* of Christmas ornaments. When I lived in Germany I bought this great metal base that can be filled with anything, so you can change your schemes every year. I don't belong to any organized religion, but I like this tradition.

If only I had other candles. I wasn't feeling well last week and didn't have a chance to buy new candles. It was the first Advent * weekend on December 1, and I wanted to finish, so I had to use the old ones. I hope to get new ones this week.








*
Advent is a season observed in many Western Christian churches as a time of expectant waiting and preparation for the celebration of the Nativity of Jesus at Christmas. The term is an anglicized version of the Latin word adventus, meaning "coming".
Advent is the beginning of the Western liturgical year and commences on Advent Sunday. The Eastern churches' equivalent of Advent is called the Nativity Fast, but it differs in both length and observances and does not begin the church year, which starts instead on September 1. At least in the Roman Catholic, Anglican, Lutheran, Moravian, Presbyterian and Methodist calendars, Advent starts on the fourth Sunday before December 25, which is the Sunday between November 27 and December 3 inclusive.
The Advent wreath, or Advent crown, is a Christian tradition that symbolizes the passage of the four weeks of Advent. The Advent Wreath is traditionally a Lutheran practice, albeit it has spread to many other Christian denominations.
It is usually a horizontal evergreen wreath with four candles.  Beginning with the First Sunday of Advent, the lighting of a candle can be accompanied by a Bible reading and prayers. An additional candle is lit during each subsequent week until, by the last Sunday before Christmas, all four candles are lit.  The custom is observed both in family settings and at public church services.

 from Wikipedia

No comments:

Post a Comment