Pages

3 Oct 2013

"Dschungelkind"

When I lived in Germany, one day I was watching an interesting interview with Sabine Kuegler and learnt about the book she wrote "Dschungelkind".

I read it in German, but as I was trying to search for it on the internet now to find out if there is an English version, I also learnt about a German film adaptation directed by Roland Suso Richter in 2011. I will see if I can find it here in the US.
















So, you can find the book in English as "Jungle Child" ...or "Child Of The Jungle"

It is about her very different childhood as she lived from age 7 to age 17 with her parents and two siblings in the jungle of West Papua with the newly discovered Fayu tribe.


 

I read the book in two days. Amazing true story! I wonder how is the English version.
 
 
 
 
"In 1980 seven-year-old Sabine Kuegler and her family went to live in a remote jungle area of West Papua among the recently discovered Fayu - a tribe untouched by modern civilisation. Her childhood was spent hunting, shooting poisonous spiders with arrows and chewing on pieces of bat-wing in place of gum. She also learns how brutal nature can be - and sees the effect of war and hatred on tribal peoples. After the death of her Fayu-brother, Ohri, Sabine decides to leave the jungle and, aged seventeen, she goes to a boarding school in Switzerland - a traumatic change for a girl who acts and feels like one of the Fayu. 'Fear is something I learnt here' she says. 'In the Lost Valley, with a lost tribe, I was happy. In the rest of the world it was I who was lost.' Here is Sabine Kuegler's remarkable true story of a childhood lived out in the Indonesian jungle, and the struggle to conform to European society that followed" - Amazon.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment