Pages

15 Aug 2013

Ettlingen...



" Nestling amid hills and mountains on both sides at the entrance to the valley, coursed by the continuously flowing waters of the Alb; the alleyways and streets throughout the evolved lineage and extent of the squares, vibrant yet without hustle and bustle; a castle in which city scholastic, artistic and social life has established itself; the old quarter that invites you to relax and feel at ease: Ettlingen is a city that exudes the strange but rare sensation that, here, the world is simply alright."

This was written by Josef Werner, a resident journalist in the town, for the first edition of his photographic portrait of the city, which became my home for a few years too.

Ettlingen (population 38 000) is a town in Baden-Württemberg - the third largest of Germany's sixteen states located in the southwestern part of the country with the capital Stuttgart.

Not only is it about 1 hour from Stuttgart, 1 and a half hours from Frankfurt, but also 1 hour from Strasbourg in France and 2 hours from Basel in Switzerland. It is just perfect location if you want to start exploring Europe. I loved living there.
I admit, I did miss a bit an atmosphere of a big city as the closest bigger city was Karlsruhe (8 km, population 300 000), and I will write about this place in my next post, but somehow it wasn't big enough for me :-).
I moved to Ettlingen because of my husband's job offer and it wasn't always easy. I didn't speak the language, had to 'leave everything behind', but I still remember the first day after arrival like it was yesterday, even after so many years... I walked from our apartment to the town center and back...., and felt like I had always lived there...it was home. I have so many great memories!


 
 



 
 

 
 

 
 








 
 
Some of my favorite places:
 
 
1. Cafe PIEROD
 
 

 


 
Cafe Pierod 
Kirchenplatz 5-7
  
 
 
 
2.
Swimming pool






Albgaubad Ettlingen

Luisenstraße 14
76275 Ettlingen
http://www.albgaubad.de/typo3/index.php?id=15
 
 
 
3.
Lake Buchtzig
 
Badesee Buchtzig
























Badesee Buchtzig, Am Baggersee 4
(Nähe Industriegebiet
Ettlingenweier)
76275 Ettlingen
 
 
4. hiking in Black Forest
 

 
 
"The Black Forest (Schwarzwald) is a wooded mountain range in Baden-Württemberg. It is bordered by the Rhine valley to the west and south. The highest peak is the Feldberg with an elevation of 1,493 metres (4,898 ft). The region is almost rectangular with a length of 160 km (99 miles) and breadth of up to 60 km (37 miles)"
 
 
I hope I will be able to go back in the future, together with my husband...it was our first home and has a special place in my heart.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment